Eliminate Assignment Groups Entirely

Jump to solution
CGME
Community Member

Greetings Mighty Canvas Forum!

When I migrate a course from Blackboard to Canvas I am seeing Assignment Groups show up in Canvas, but I don't want them.  It looks like once you have a single 'Assignment Group' in Canvas, it will force you to allocate every new assignment you create to a group.

I'd simply like to get rid of any assignment groups and just keep my assignments.

I can probably solve this problem by eliminating the groups in Blackboard before migrating the content.  However, it seems like there should be a function in Canvas somewhere to just move your assignments OUT OF ANY assignment groups--but I can't figure out how to do this. 

Is there not a way to change a course that has assignment groups to one that doesn't, without rewriting the assignments manually? 

Thanks!

Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @CGME,

I have some perhaps bad, but also good news for you around this.  I'll start with the perhaps bad...  In Canvas, every assignment really belongs to an assignment group (even if there is just a single "assignments" group with everything in it).  I don't know of a way around that, though you could move all of your assignments into a single group and remove the others.

Now for the good news!  Even if you keep your assignment groups, you can hide them from the gradebook.  The "View Gradebook View Options" section of the  How do I use the Gradebook? - Instructure Community  guide shows the checkbox to "Hide Assignment Group Totals," which should effectively do what I believe you want.

I hope this helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post