Duplicating (aka Deleting!) a Quiz

Jump to solution
JesseCantor
Community Member

The idea that if you copy a quiz more than once - that the original should then be deleted - is asinine.

I'm copying it more than once because it's important and I need several versions.

For reference, I create a practice test (version one), then modify slightly to create an actual test (version two), then create a third version (WOOPS! Silly me right?!) for students with accommodations for their actual exam and then BAM - right in the middle of studying in crunch time - students' practice tests disappear. 

Try to fix that and WHAM! The actual test disappears. This is madness of the highest order.

Vague language about "importing" (note: not copying) content more than once is insufficient.

I have wasted literally tens of hours, multiple days, under high-pressure deadlines with hundreds of students, trying to fix the mayhem caused by this function.

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Losing access to instructional material like quizzes is frustrating, @JesseCantor, especially for those of us teaching large classes. Thank you for sharing your experiences here.

One thing I have done to deal with the situations you describe is to link to a Question Bank from the quiz. That way I can create additional copies of the quiz without having to create those questions again. The steps are described in the document How do I create a quiz with a question group linked to a question bank? 

Question banks are created automatically as we create questions inside quizzes, and those can be organized to make selecting banks a bit easier. If you need help with that, check out the following documents:

How do I create a question bank in a course? 

How do I move multiple questions from one question bank to another? 

You mention accommodating students. I wonder if you have looked into the options for giving students extra attempts and/or extra time on a quiz. Those are described in the documentOnce I publish a quiz, how do I use the Moderate Quiz page? 

Another option you have to use New Quizzes, which can be duplicated. The steps are described in the document How do I duplicate a New Quizzes quiz? 

View solution in original post