sms confirmation code PLUS single-signon error when asking for help

Jump to solution
KellyVikstrom-H
Community Member

Hello! 

I had a student ask for help turning on SMS notifications. She has T-Mobile and is not getting a confirmation code on her phone. Then I tried doing the same and I have Verizon and I also did not get a confirmation code on my phone. We both repeatedly tried deleting and readding the phone numbers. 

In looking for help, I found this article: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/Why-won-t-my-cell-number-register/m-p/19698... - which, instead of answering the question, says to go to Help >> Report a Problem.

BUT when I do that, I get an error saying "Single Sign-on Error. We can't log you in because of an issue with single sign-on. Contact your Salesforce admin for help." I tried using an incognito window and it still gave me the same error. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @KellyVikstrom-H ...

When I go to my own "Account" >> "Settings" screen in Canvas, under the "Other Contacts" area, there is an area to "+ Contact Method".  When the small new window opens, there is a "Text (SMS)" tab...which I think you are referring to.  However, there is a note on that tab that says, "SMS is only used for Multi-Factor Authentication (if enabled for your account)."  I'm not sure if the student was hoping to get text message notifications about her course(s), but this is no longer an option.

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

It used to be that you could get course notifications as text messages, but not so much any more.  You can still choose to get e-mail notifications and push notifications through the Canvas apps on your mobile device, though.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post