"Clone" group for group assignments

Jump to solution
francmar
Community Novice

Hi. I am having an issue with group assignments in Canvas. I assigned students to different groups for group assignments and once the term had started, I had late enrollment and had to rearrange the groups and create new groups, for which I created a “clone” group assignments tab (as suggested by Canvas) with the new groups. However, for the students to submit their group homework and for grading purposes, I don’t know how to make this “clone” group distribution to be the main group distribution, as the students are still assigned to the old groups and the new groups are not visible in Canvas, and the new students cannot participate in the group discussion.

I hope the issue is more or less clear.

Thanks,

Maria Clara

0 Likes
1 Solution
valentinesking
Community Coach
Community Coach

Howdy  @francmar ‌,

Thanks for sharing your question with us. Looks like you are on the right path since you cloned your group set, after switching up group membership when submissions had already been made. 🙂 Usually I label the group set (OLD GROUPS vs NEW GROUPS) & groups differently so both I and the students can see the difference. You may need to explain to students you now want them to work in the new groups/new groups area.

Once you have submissions on an assignment, the option to change the group set is not enabled. As a workaround you can create a new assignment and apply the new group set. Then take that original assignment, close it's availability and mark for it to not count toward the final grade. Then do all the grading for that assignment in the new assignment (new groupset).

On all future group assignments, you may want to ensure that the assignments are pointing to the NEW GROUPS groupset (and not the old).

Hope this makes sense and is helpful,

Sky V.

View solution in original post

0 Likes