When adding students to groups, is there a way to see what section they are in?

Jump to solution
EdwardPershwitz
Community Member

I have created groups for a course that has three cross-listed sections. I need to assign students to these groups, but make sure students in a group are in the same section. Is there a way for me to see which student is in which section? Or is there a way to filter unassigned students depending on the section? To clarify, this isn't a question about a self-signup option I can set. This is a question about how I can see which section a student is in so I can pick an appropriate group for them.

Side note: if "Require group members to be in the same section" is checked under self-signup and I put two students from different sections into the same group, an error message pops up but the student gets added anyway.

0 Likes
1 Solution
EdwardPershwitz
Community Member
Author

@chriscas @Chris_Hofer Thank you for your replies. I asked them to self-organize and set a due date. Anyone not in a group after the due date gets assigned randomly (by me). Auto-assignment suggested by @chriscas appears to only work at the time of group set creation, unless I've missed something. This would have been a great feature if it could also auto-assign unassigned students without re-assigning those who are already assigned. The second solution suggested by @Chris_Hofer did come to mind but would require going through the whole list of 70+ students for each assignment, rather than working with a shrinking list of  unassigned students. This is probably what I will end up doing. Thank you both very much for your suggestions! I really wish Canvas group management functionality covered more common use cases... filtering unassigned students by section would be such an easy thing to implement.

View solution in original post