Test Bank maximum

Jump to solution
MtHomeATCNSE
Community Novice

What is the maximum amount of questions you can add to one Test Bank?

I'm having issued adding/editing questions in a bank that currently has 65 questions. Is this the max? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
NicoletteStaley
Community Team
Community Team

@MtHomeATCNSE Currently there is no published maximum side for question banks or item banks in Canvas.  I have personally seen both Item Banks and Question Banks with over 1,000 questions in them.  What @MatthewClifft meant by the limit possibly being browser-based was that if you are adding/editing questions via the UI, your browser may not be able to process all the question data to render it successfully.  Often page load errors, or errors related to the page taking too long to load may result if there is too much data being retrieved by a page.  Since most of the content displayed on a question/item bank page in Canvas is not diurectly loaded as HTML from Instructure's servers but is generated by your browser using React and data derived from the questions contained in the bank, this is cause issues with large banks in a browser.

If you are importing the questions from another source (for example as QTI files), there may be issues with formatting of the data in those files that is preventing all of the questions from importing as expected.  For example, I have seen cases where the questions contained special characters that resulted in the XML in the QTI from becoming improperly formatted and preventing some content from import successfully.

View solution in original post

0 Likes