Student/Teacher communication

Jump to solution
JarredLambert
Community Member

Hi there, 

We use sections obviously to segment student cohorts on Canvas. These sections/cohorts have the same teacher. We've enrolled the teacher to the course and allowed them to view any student in any section. The teacher can view, find and communicate with the student easily. 

However, the problem occurs when the students are trying to communicate with their teacher. When they're in the course, because the teacher isn't assigned to their section they aren't able to find and message the teachers... 

Is this how Canvas is designed? Are there any solutions to this besides for adding the teacher to every section in the course? This is quite a big issue on our side. 

Thanks ☺️

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @JarredLambert,

We will probably need some additional info about your enrollment processes to give a somewhat definite answer on this.  The big question I have, as a Canvas admin for my institution, is whether you have the "Limit User to Section" option enabled for your students and/or teachers.  I am fairly sure if you're using that option for either students, teaches, or both, the behavior you're describing is likely intended.  If you don't use that option for either role, it may be more of a gray area.  I'd say the intention of engineers/coders is probably that you would have teachers enrolled in each section that they are teaching.  Automation from an SIS usually takes care of this, but if you're adding users manually, it would definitely be some more steps.

Can you let us know about the enrollment options used at your school/institution so we might be able to better answer this or dig deeper into it?

-Chris

View solution in original post