Participants in my course are listed as inactive, but they are quite active and the course is ongoing

Jump to solution
ArthurManzi
Community Member

I created a Canvas Free-for-Teacher course and invited two persons to join. This was back in June 2023. Both accepted, and the course has been going on throughout the summer. We all have been posting content to Discussions, and everything was proceeding without a problem until yesterday, when I learned that both students (or Participants, I can't figure out the difference) can no longer see Discussions at all, nor can they see any of the content posted in the Discussions. 

In the course settings, the two persons are listed as "Participants (inactive)" and the number of Students is listed as None. Is that a problem? Why are they listed as "inactive" participants? They have been quite active throughout the summer.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

It looks like your users have been deactivated somehow. You should be able to select the Atkins menu for those students and then select the link "Re-activate User" (screenshot):

Re-active User menu selectionRe-active User menu selection

View solution in original post

Problem fixed, here's how (I think): I had defined the two other persons in the course as "Participant"—the course is actually a writing workshop and we're all equals, so "Participant" felt truer to the case. But that category of user seems to have been dropped from Canvas; at least, I can't find the term on lists of user types.

So I redefined their role as "Student" and then I resent to them the invitation to join the course. I heard from both of them this morning that they can again see all Discussions and all content within those Discussions. 

Thanks for your help, Greg!

Arthur

View solution in original post