Outcomes

Jump to solution
jmillner1
Community Explorer

When aligning outcomes, what is the benefit or difference between aligning outcomes to the quiz and aligning outcomes to the questions within the quiz itself? I see data by question when aligning by question and that works great. Will the data be the same aligning to the quiz as a whole?

0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello @jmillner1 

Thank you for contacting the Instructure Community. This announcement and overview may prove helpful to some of the differences and features with aligning outcomes to quizzes:  Canvas Outcomes and New Quizzes: Part 1 - Instructure Community  Perhaps some other users have found more benefits or hidden positives and can post about it here but really the gist is to get a generalized feel for how your students are doing overall on a quiz vs how the students are performing on very specific questions. Here is the Canvas guide:

How do I align an outcome to a quiz in New Quizzes... - Instructure Community  

How do I align an outcome to a quiz question in Ne... - Instructure Community  

Both can be helpful and you can also view this in the outcome analysis report. To quote from the announcement I posted above:

The second type of alignment is to individual New Quiz items. This is great when single or multiple questions on a quiz assess the same outcome while others do not. A set of items with Outcome alignments can be pulled from an item bank as needed but this is not required. Outcome results are auto-graded and reported in the New Quiz Outcome Analysis report. 

The third type of alignment is for a quiz overall. This is a great fit for when the whole quiz assesses the same outcome or outcomes (similar to rubrics) but when auto-grading is a better fit. Results for this alignment are reported in the New Quiz Outcome Analysis report.  

Hopefully this helps. 

View solution in original post