New Gradebook

Jump to solution
SandyMullican
Community Member

I'm seeing the filters on the left, but no longer the dropdowns that were extremely convenient. Do we now only have the option to use the filters and no longer can add the dropdowns on the top? If I can no longer have a simple dropdown at the top to switch classes... I might lose my mind. Anway to add those back?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@SandyMullican ...

It sounds like you will need to possibly have a conversation with your school's Canvas administrator or someone from their Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Education department about your Gradebook view.  Your Canvas administrator(s) may have chosen to turn the "Enhanced Gradebook Filters" Feature Option on for everyone at your school...with no option to turn it off.  However, you *may* be able to turn this off on your own.  In your own course, click on "Settings" on the left-hand side course navigation menu.  Then, click on the "Feature Options" tab at the top of the screen.  Do you see a row for "Enhanced Gradebook Filters"?  If so, is there a toggle switch next to it where you can turn it on (green checkmark) or off (red x)?  If you do not see this, then you'll need to talk with your Canvas admin.

There are basically four ways that Canvas admins can control this feature at the Canvas account level for all courses at your school:

How do I manage new features for an account? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Account Feature Previews:

• State: Enabled and Unlocked | Tooltip: Allowed for subaccounts/courses, default on
  • State: Enabled and Locked | Tooltip: Enabled for all subaccounts/courses
  • State: Disabled and Unlocked | Tooltip: Allowed for subaccounts/courses, default off
  • State: Disabled and Locked | Tooltip: Disabled for all subaccounts/courses

If your admins have the "Enhanced Gradebook Filters" set to "Enabled and Locked" (the second option), then no instructor has the ability to turn it off.  The same thing happens with "Disabled and Locked" (the fourth option) ...except that no instructor has the ability to turn it on per course.  The other two options allow instructors to turn it on/off.

Hopefully you'll be able to talk with folks at your school soon about this.  Good luck, and keep us posted...thanks! 

View solution in original post