NOT getting email Notifications for Delayed Announcements

Jump to solution
mq11
Community Member

Last academic year (2023-2024), I used to be able to delay announcements and when these future dates arrived and the announcements were finally posted in canvas, then students will get an email notification on that day as well.

This is no longer happening.

I have posted 4 different delayed announcements, for a future date at 12 am, only to find out when I wake up that no one was ever notified. The announcement is indeed posted in canvas on time but students don't get notifications, so students might have no idea that I sent them an announcement unless they happen to be logged into canvas after the fact.

Why did this change? I like to delay important announcements and release them at 12am i.e. ""HW is due today etc.. "" should be announced starting at 12 am on the deadline

If I stay awake until 12am I can publish that announcement and students will get notified but I can't do that everytime. Please help, what can I do now?

Best,

MQ

P.s. I (the instructor) also don't get the notification, and I have allowed for notifications from Announcements in Settings in Canvas. I only get them for recently published announcements but not delayed ones.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Code-with-Ski
Community Participant

@mq11 

It would be good to report this issue to Canvas Support (How do I contact Canvas Support?) so they can add it to the ticket that engineers are working on resolving.  This way you should also get notified when the issue is resolved.  It may be related to this Known Issue, even though it isn't exactly the same issue: [OPEN] Editing an announcement but not the "available from" date breaks notifications 

In my own testing recently, I found that the notifications for a delayed post were still going to students when I didn't edit the post.  However, I as the teacher was not receiving a notification like I usually do.  If the announcement posts immediately, I receive the notification, but it seems there is a bug they are working on to get the notification to send to teachers for delayed announcements too. 

If you have edited a delayed announcement, but didn't adjust the "Available from" date, notifications may be fully broken and not send to students either even if you try to edit it again.  If you are unsure if you have edited a delayed post after making it and it still hasn't posted, you could consider creating a new delayed announcement and making sure you don't edit it after you save it.  After making the new copy, you could delete the old one.

View solution in original post