Issue with Canvas Authentication via Google Sign-In

Jump to solution
adk_edv
Community Explorer

Hi All,

I've been attempting to set up Canvas Authentication through Google. I followed all the steps mentioned in this guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Admin-Guide/How-do-I-configure-third-party-authentication-provide... 

However, when I try to log in using Google Sign-In, I receive the following error:

"Canvas doesn't have an account for user: You can try to log in again."

Has anyone else encountered this issue or have any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
3 Solutions
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @adk_edv,

Did you check the "just in time provisioning" box?  That's the option that will create Canvas accounts if they don't yet exist, and should take care of the exact error message you're getting.

-Chris

View solution in original post

Hi @adk_edv,

I'd recommend looking at the account details to see if you can spot any differences between the newly created account and the original account that was already created.  Generally if JIT is creating a new account, it would mean some required piece of information is not matching in the original account details (login id, email, sis_is come to mind, but sound be other things).  We don't have google set up as an SSO provider here, but do have SAML which should function similarly.  I don't have any other great advice for you right now, though if this is a small number of accounts, you could manually merge them together as a workaround.

-Chris

0 Likes

Hi @DeveshMishra,

Apologies, but other than the advice I've already given in this thread, I don't have too much more I could share on this.  If you have an Instructure customer success manager or access to Canvas support, it may be useful to get advice from those channels as well.

-Chris