Copying rubrics between schools, not courses

Jump to solution
DanielBarwick
Community Member

I created a rubric at one school where I work, and I would like to use that rubric at another school where I also work. Is there a way to copy a rubric so that I can use it at another school? I understand how to copy rubrics among courses at a single school. I believe I could make it work by copying the entire course, but my courses are too large to import (Canvas has a size limit). Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
JeffCampbell
Community Coach
Community Coach

This could be a bit dependent. When you say another school, is it in the same district but different building or another district? In other words, do you have the same login or different logins for each?

If the same, you can choose to import from an existing course, but then check the option for "Selected Items" rather than the entire course. When you get to the next screen, it has Rubrics as an option, allowing you to copy just rubrics over. Make sure to do this in the destination course, not the originating course.

If different logins, then Canvas Commons might be one way to do this. Rubrics cannot be shared directly to Commons, but you could try creating an empty assignment then attach the rubric to the assignment. When sharing to Commons, you would choose to make it public, then sign into your other account, go to Commons, and find your item. Then you can import that into the other course for use. That MIGHT share the rubric through the blank assignment. 

I believe each institution can control the size limit of their user's Canvas courses. You might talk to whomever makes the decision to see if there is an accommodation that can be made. However, one of the biggest things I see impact course size is videos. If you have videos in the course, and you have access to Canvas Studio, I would consider moving them into Studio. It's file storage is separate from your course. Embedding the videos into your course from Canvas Studio, then removing the files from the course, can make a major difference in the course size. If you do have separate logins, one problem is that the videos you put into Canvas Studio on one account may not be accessible from the other. To get around this, you can make a Public Link. This creates an Embed Code. Copy that and go to the page you want to use the video, and the location in the page where the video will be. There is an option in the Insert menu for Embed where you can paste that code. Don't worry about it being public. It would require someone to have the link to view the content. This might help make the export from Canvas much smaller for you to more easily use if the other school has a size limit. I've had classes with lots of videos easily drop the size down to a 1/3rd of the original size doing this.

View solution in original post