Canvas gradebook issues and concerns

Jump to solution
Leocatal
Community Member

Hello, I am having some issues with my gradebook. I noticed there are two assignment columns. One is worth 0% grade and the other is 40% grade. The students grades are going in the 0% column and not the 40% where it should go...leading to students not having assignments grade average, its an emplty column for all my classes because I cross listed my class course. I also noticed this year a column called "temp" 0% of grade, I dont know what this means or is...? I didnt see this last year.... I have concerns with the last column where it says "Total" because it doesnt factor in the assignment grade, its only giving an average grade for "Assessments" column. Please help me with this.
One more concern, in some cases students dont have a dash and I cant enter in any grades by manually even if i wanted to. ...I have noticed that I get a lot of messages saying "problems with submissions"
I just feel that before this should continue and we get closer to the progress report period I need to **bleep** this issues in the bud and resolved as quickly as possible, Im get parent messages saying their child has a zero grade, when infact they dont- I synch grades from the canvas grade book into our school Focus platform and when I do that the focus grade says zero and parent go to focus to look up their childs grades.
Please could someone help me sort all this out.
I have a planning period from 7:30 am to 8 am every day except on Thursdays. Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @Leocatal ...

I can help with the first part of your question...

When you are on your "Grades" page and scroll all the way to the right, it sounds like you are seeing some additional columns to the left of your "Total" column.  They may have the same name called "Assignments"?  If you have columns like this, each of these are the result of having Assignment Groups on your "Assignments" index page.

So, if you have two "Assignments" columns on your "Grades" page, when you look at your "Assignments" index page, you should see two Assignment Groups each called "Assignments".  On your "Assignments" index page, do you have assignments in each of these?  If one of those doesn't have any assignments in it, it's probably ok to get rid of it.  But, these are also where the weighting is set up.  So, it sounds like one of those "Assignments" Assignment Groups is weighted at 40% while the other is weighted at 0%.

I hope this helps in some way!

View solution in original post