Cancelled Assignments get 100% score from External Tool

Jump to solution
Yorik1971
Community Member

I have a pretty consistent issue where I have an assignment using an External Tool (Skillable lab - could be any Skillable lab) and if a student cancels that assignment without completing any portion of it they always receive a score of 10/10 or 100% (depending on the grading method).  I would have expected the student to receive a grade of 0% or incomplete.  I have not heard of any issues like this from users other LMSs who use the same External Tool.  Could the assignment have been configured incorrectly in the course?

This seems somewhat related to this post from @Carter41 :
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Question-Forum/External-Tool-Assignments-Are-Auto-Grading/...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you @Yorik1971 for providing that link to the question from @Carter41, which I see does not yet have a response. It looks to me like the LTI connection between Canvas and Skillable does not know how to score an incomplete attempt by the student user. The best option is to ask Skillable's developers how their system handles that type of situation in relation to the LTI connection. I found the documentation for the Canvas LTI, which has a section on grading:

Introduction - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation

I’m going to mark this reply as a solution. I realize it does not solve your problem, but it will help our colleagues who have a similar question.

View solution in original post