Auto save grading

Jump to solution
Joeyjoejoe
Community Member

The guy on the phone told me that he had never heard anyone complain about this issue before (the jerk), so I want to make it known. Not having auto saving for the speedgrader is a terrible idea. Why should I have to enter a "update grades" button every time that I enter a score for the program to save it? Auto save has been a standard feature on any web-based product for at least 20 years, and entering a score should save it. No excuses. It's basic and obvious user-based design.

Also, is Canvas's answer to every issue "you are doing it wrong" and never "we should improve that"? That's the feeling I'm getting, and it explains how the user friendliness of their program is so bad.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Joeyjoejoe -

I'm sorry that you are dissatisfied with the solutions you received from Support. Our Support Team is thorough while they diagnose cases. They also do their best to provide relevant resources as well to make sure that those who create cases understand how or why the issue occurs. That said, please uphold our Instructure Community guidelines, especially the "Be Cool" segment where we need to communicate respectfully and kindly. We're all in this together!

In my experience in the classroom, when scoring Quizzes manually, the "Update Score" button is essential to the workflow. While the numerical score may be remembered by the browser, Canvas needs to know to apply the points to the overall quiz score. As a teacher, I didn't mind the opportunity to double-check my manually entered points. (Some students have notifications set when grades are adjusted, and each change would create one.) Though, I'm sure that learning about this step caused additional work and unplanned frustration for you.

It sounds like you are working with Classic Quizzes, so we can't encourage you to create an Idea Conversation that would allow graders to Automatically apply manually entered points to quiz scores. Have you or has your school explored New Quizzes? It's a great tool that has become the main focus of Canvas's quizzing features. If your school hasn't enabled it yet, it could be a good conversation to begin with your site Admin. What is New Quizzes? 

View solution in original post