As an Admin, how do I edit a user email to a new default email?

Jump to solution
GraziaCunningha
Community Explorer

Hello-

I am the Admin on our account. A student asked if she could use a different email to access our instance. (She originally gave me a gmail address). I can edit user details and add a new default email, but this does not change the login email. How can I (as the Admin) edit her login email to her new email? 

Normally, I would invite her to the course with her new email. Is there a better way to do this so I don't have to remove her from the course and add her with a new email?

Thank you.

Grazia

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @GraziaCunningha,

As you have discovered, the default email address and login information in Canvas are two different things.  Sometimes the login info will be an email address, but it could also just be a username, depending how your Canvas instance is configured.  In this case, you'll need to modify the login info, which you can do following the  How do I manage a user's login information in an a... - Instructure Community - 232  guide.  You can either add a second login, or edit the existing login and just change the login field from the old email to the new one.

Hope this helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post