[Admin Tools] Course Status Icon for Admins with sorting or filtering options

This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta •  How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2024-07-17) 

Problem statement:

As an admin will many terms and courses in my sub-account, it is sometime difficult to easily identify the status of a particular course. When provided with the list of courses it is easy to identify which courses are published and which ones are unpublished due to the published icon that is on the left of the course name. However it is much more difficult to identify if the course is currently open or if it has concluded.

Within my use cases, there are times where courses are extended past the initial term dates and remain in an active state for as long as six months. Having a way to identify and sort through courses would help make it easier to know which courses have been extended past the original term conclusion date.

Proposed solution:

My proposed solution would be to repurpose the "Published" column on the Admin Courses view into a "Status" column. Then icons could be used in addition to the "published" check icon to represent various states that the course is currently in (i.e. unpublished, concluded, etc.). This column could also be made sortable or additional filters could be added across the top of the course list. Having these indicators would help admins quickly identify which course they need so that they can quickly perform their tasks.

I have created a mock-up of how this could look.

Course-Status-Icons.jpg

User role(s):

admin

Added to Theme

Add or improve search functionality Theme Status: Identified

Canvas Ideas Featured in 2024 Releases Theme Status: Delivered

5 Comments
jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @mjennings! Thanks for reaching out and sharing this idea with our community. It seems that I am unable to open the mock-up that you've shared as part of this idea. Might you check the link and reshare so that we can get full context of your request?  

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

mjennings
Community Coach
Community Coach
Author

@jsailor thanks for letting me know that the link didn't work. I have fixed the issue. Please let me know if you have any questions.

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks, @mjennings! It is very helpful to see what you are proposing. I'll ask that the PM who is over this portion of the admin tools to take a look and add comment.  

jpoulos
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Added to Theme
Thanks for submitting your feature idea. This seems like it fits well into the "Add or improve search functionality" theme, so I've associated it under that.