The Latest on the Known Issue Related to Course Files in Item Banks

AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas.png

Thanks to all of you who have raised the importance of the course files in item banks issue and for following along in our previous blog post as we rolled out the short-term fix. We’re excited to share that the long-term fix for this issue is nearing code completion. However, after careful consideration, we’ve decided not to push for our original end-of-September production release date.

Given the size and complexity of this update, we believe thorough testing is essential to ensure a smooth rollout and a high-quality experience for all users. To allow for comprehensive testing, we’re adjusting the release timeline and now plan to move to production at the end of October. Once it is in production, we will also run a datafix for all affected files dating back to June 2023. 

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we finalize this important update.

6 Comments
KathyPalm
Community Participant

Appreciate the update!
Is there any possiblity for the fix to go back further than February 2024? Our institution first noted this issue in January 2024 so my cocern is it won't fix all the instances of this issue for us. Thank you!

dbrace
Community Contributor

Resolving this issue needs to need to go further because not every Canvas course shell is reused every semester and that is because of a rotation/sequence that exists for certain pathways/certifications/degrees.

AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@KathyPalm @dbrace Thanks for the input! I'm talking with the team responsible about the possibility and timeline for a more comprehensive datafix and will update once we've got a resolution. 

leward
Community Contributor

@AllisonHowell ,

Ideally the data fix should go back to June 2023 when the standard RCE was reintroduced in New Quizzes.  I too have found examples in question banks dating back as far as September 2023, although the largest number of cases occured in February 2024 and later.

AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Author

Thanks everyone! After discussing with the team, we will do a data fix that goes back to June 2023. 

KathyPalm
Community Participant

Great news, thank you!