Re-enablement of the Rich Content Editor (RCE) in New Quizzes

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure

3.png

Update: With the beta release of 05. 15, the issue of Classic Quiz to New Quiz migration has been fixed.

In my
latest blog post about the Rich Content Editor (RCE), I promised to keep you updated about the timeline for re-enabling RCE in New Quizzes. As per our latest update, we have completed all the necessary work on the previous issues around RCE and are conducted rigorous testing to ensure that it functions smoothly.

We are going to re-enable RCE in the Beta environment on April 17th. While we are excited to roll out this update to all our customers, we understand that many of our customers may have finals during May, which is why we have decided to hold the production release until June 17th.

In December last year, when the RCE was originally released, copying a New Quiz with Course Copy or syncing a New Quiz with Blueprint made some of the content not editable or viewable. Those issues are now resolved. 

Known issues

There are still some known issues with RCE in New Quizzes when it comes to moving content. Please note that most of the issues also exist with the current RCE.

• If a user migrates a Classic Quiz to New Quiz (clicks on a Classic Quiz’s kebab menu and selects ‘Migrate’ option):
    • Images within the quiz lose copyright and permission information if they were set.
    • Course content attached to the quiz is duplicated.
    • Course audio and video attached to the quiz can’t be edited. The user would need to delete those contents from the quiz rich content and re-add them.
    • User audio and video attached to the quiz are not rendering properly and can’t be edited. The user would need to delete those contents from the quiz rich content and re-add them.
    • Course Documents and Links attached to the quiz are not rendering properly. The user would need to delete those contents from the quiz rich content and re-add them.
  • If a user copies or sends a quiz (by clicking on a New Quiz’s kebab menu and selecting ‘Copy to’ or ‘Send to’ options): Course images and Files might be not editable and viewable or different Images/Files may be shown.

We are already working on a solution for most of the migration problems so that you can migrate all your quizzes with any type of content. 

The content in this blog is over six months old, and the comments are closed. For the most recent product updates and discussions, you're encouraged to explore newer posts from Instructure's Product Managers.

12 Comments
LauraRO_TEIDE
Community Explorer

Great news!! Thanks!!

On this update, students could answer using small letters and capital letters indistinctly? Thanks again.

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@LauraRO_TEIDE can you please elaborate on your question? I'm not sure what you would like to know. Thanks

LauraRO_TEIDE
Community Explorer

Many people do the tests on mobile devices with keyboards that automatically capitalise words, and the new quizzes don’t accept them (the old ones did). So many students get very low scores even though most of their answers are correct (like in the image attached). It’s very frustrating. Thank you.

Question.png

jrican
Community Explorer

On fill in the blank questions where users type in their answer the question options allow you to use whichever option best suits your needs.

Text match options:

Contains
The word can exist anywhere in the response

Close Enough

Uses Levenshtein Distance to determine if the response is close enough to the correct answer (this one has the option to ignore case)

Exact Match
Case and spelling must match exactly

Specify Correct Answers
You specify each acceptable response (which allows you  to enter both ways as correct.)

Regular Expression Match
Not for beginners. Be sure your pattern is valid for Ruby 2.5 or it may fail.
  • Use a validator such as Rubular to test your pattern.
  • Review Ruby’s Regexp documentation for more context
jrican
Community Explorer

@LauraRO_TEIDE

Fill in the Blank Questions do have options to help with the case issue you are referring to:

Text Match Options

Contains
The word can exist anywhere in the response (I believe this option should work for case issues)

Close Enough
Uses Levenshtein Distance to determine if the response is close enough to the correct answer. (This option does allow you to ignore case, though I am  not sure about the other aspects.)

Exact Match
Case and spelling must match exactly (this one would count them wrong if case was wrong.)

Specify Correct Answers
You specify each acceptable response (this one would allow you to type both ways as correct)

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure
Author

Hi @LauraRO_TEIDE,

This change only affects the input method, changing the old Rich Content Editor to the new one. It won't have any effect on how quizzes/answers behave.

I hope the solution @jrican suggested is sufficient for you.

Regards,

Tamás

LauraRO_TEIDE
Community Explorer

Ok.

I`ll try to find the best solution. Thank you

Regards

govreacl
Community Contributor

Is kebab an official word now in Canvas or is that just what the author calls the three dots??

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@govreacl hah, sorry for that. Kebab name is an industry standard "naming convention" in the design world (as well as hamburger button for the three lines). I guess I didn't even realize my audience may not be familiar with this naming. 

erik_gustafson
Community Participant

I have noticed an issue with the re-enablement of the RCE in New Quizzes. My browser, Chrome, always underlines misspelled words. It isn't doing that in New Quizzes now. I turned on my Grammarly, and it can't check either. I don't get the little green G in the editor window like I do in other areas of Canvas. 

Any idea why that might be?

spelling.png

TamasBalogh
Instructure
Instructure
Author

Hi @erik_gustafson,

The lack of spell check was a misconfiguration and now it is fixed. Please note students will only have spell-checking for Essay type questions with RCE enabled, if the spell-check option is enabled in the question settings. 

I am not sure about Grammarly. We'll have a look and come back when found out more.

KK2013
Community Member

Is there an expected date the image issue will be resolved?  I am creating several quizzes this summer (June/July 2023), with multiple images in the questions.  The other teachers on my team will be copying these quizzes to use with their students (starting August 2023), and the images will need to copy over.