Khanmigo Teacher Tools Now Available in Canvas for US K-12 and Higher Education Institutions

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Canvas.png

We’re thrilled to announce that Khannmigo Teacher Tools can now be enabled directly within Canvas! This powerful integration streamlines lesson planning and accelerates time-consuming tasks – all without leaving the LMS. The Khanmigo Teacher Tools integration is free for all US-based K-12 and Higher Education educators as part of their Canvas subscriptions. 

Visual of Khanmigo Teacher Tools integration in CanvasVisual of Khanmigo Teacher Tools integration in Canvas

What are Khanmigo Teacher Tools?

Khanmigo simplifies AI for educators. Without writing a single prompt, it can help co-create lesson plans, rubrics, exit tickets, and more. Learn more about the benefits on Khan Academy’s blog and on the Khanmigo Teacher Tools partner listing

How can my educators start using Khanmigo Teacher Tools in Canvas?

We’ve heard your feedback that you want to choose which integrations are available to your educators. For this reason, the integration is off by default, but can be installed in just a few easy steps. View the instructions here. Note that it can be configured at the sub-account level.  

What resources are available to learn more about the integration?

We’re here to help as you explore these new tools and bring them to your educators. 

General resources

For K-12 institutions

For Higher Education institutions

17 Comments
mmoore1
Community Contributor

I am very excited to test this out. 

ckeigher
Community Explorer

Is there a way to install this for our account, but have the course navigation link hidden by default?  I'd like to enable this for our instance, but I'd like to allow our faculty the option to make it appear in their course nav.  Thanks.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Why free for just the US?

Nhadley12
Community Participant

If we were really going to revolutionize this integration and product, under the export options, there should be options to 'create canvas page', or 'create canvas assignment'. It seems reasonable that it could create an API Call with the current course context (course_id) to post a new page with the content of the AI-produced materials. 

Something to think about! 

I'd be happy to test this,

Nicholas 

jenn_stevens
Community Contributor

Could the Higher Ed video please have captions? I can't share this video announcement with my Deaf faculty. Thanks!

JamesSekcienski
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ckeigher 

I did a quick set-up test and it looks like this app was built to hide it from the course navigation by default. 🎉 If anyone else can confirm this, it would be great to know.

For reference though, if you ever need to update an app to hide the course navigation by default you can check out this blog post: Default Hide Course Navigation Placement for LTIs/External Apps *Since Khanmigo is using an LTI Registration Developer Key, you are limited in the settings you can adjust and don't have access to the JSON.  Thus, you would need to follow the instructions for Installed LTIs/External Apps to update the settings via the API after you install it by the Client ID.

reynlds
Community Participant

@JamesSekcienski confirmed...

chobson
Community Participant

Where are we getting the VPAT? Can you guide me?

ckeigher
Community Explorer

@JamesSekcienski and @reynlds  - thank you!

beth_may
Community Member

What is the carbon footprint of this, and how is that being offset?  How much water will be wasted for this? What is being done to offset that?

dbrace
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jsailor, is it possible to install this in either beta or test or must it be in production?

DeepaPrasad517
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @jenn_stevens the captions should be working on the Higher Ed video now. Just click the Settings icon to enable them. Let me know if you have any further issues!

reynlds
Community Participant

I feel this integration needs a LOT of work to make it usable in Canvas as it requires just as much work to create/copy/paste as any other AI-driven solution external to Canvas. Having the ability to use the generated content AND create the assignments, quizzes, discussions, etc., on-the-fly would give this a gold star!

Nhadley12
Community Participant

@dbrace You can install in Beta, no problem. Just follow the same instructions. I have done this. 

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure
Author

@GideonWilliams, we are currently providing Khanmigo Teacher tools for free to all U.S. Canvas educators. We are evaluating how U.S. educators use these tools in order to determine if we will expand access to Canvas educators beyond the U.S. at some point in the future. 

@Nhadley12 and @reynlds, we are working currently on ways to better integrate Khan Academy with Canvas. Stay tuned for updates in the future!  

@beth_may, we appreciate you thinking about this. Khanmigo Teacher Tools is a new product that is constantly evolving, meaning we don't have an exact answer for you at this time. However, I can point you to a few external resources and facts about Khanmigo that could assist:

• Khanmigo uses GPT-Turbo. GPT-Turbo runs on Microsoft Azure servers.
  • Microsoft Azure has been 100% carbon neutral since 2012. "As OpenAI’s exclusive cloud provider, Azure will power all OpenAI workloads across research, products and API services." Source 

@chobsonKhan Academy is partnering with a third-party accessibility consultant with the goal of achieving WCAG 2.1 AA conformance. They anticipate completing a full ACR/VPAT that includes the teacher experience by April 2026. The following accessibility details are published on the partner listing:

• The main Khanmigo Teacher Tools page can be navigated using only a keyboard
    • The experience supports zoom up to 200%
    • Color contrast ratios are compliant throughout the entire experience

@dbrace, yes, you can enable in your beta instance. Just follow the same installation instructions. The Khan Academy team is also working to ensure the integration can consistently be added to test environments as well. 

mbmacdonald
Community Participant

Is there a way to "customize" the Khanmigo experience specifically for higher ed? Some of these tools are not relevant to higher ed, but more importantly, I tried out the lesson plan tool, and it kept creating a lesson plan that was clearly a k-12 (pretty much 5th-grade level) lesson plan even though my prompt indicated it was for college freshmen. I know we all need to get better at "prompt engineering" but it would be nice if you could set the parameters once and not have to spend so much time perfecting your prompts

FYI: I did try clicking around in the various "preferences" and "settings" menus - these are not easy to find, and some are only available through khanacademy.org (not the LTI). Even the menus I did find did not seem to have setting to indicate that "all teaching material should be college-level"

RileyNelson1
Community Explorer

Is this unavailable in Canvas for Elementary? We moved it up to be visible in navigation, but it did not populate as other apps and navigation options have.