New Quizzes and Mastery Paths

Jump to solution
klwhiteside
Community Participant

Hello. I have a mastery path question . . . I think. I've created a "new quiz" that has 5 sections. Each section corresponds to a module in my class. If students do not earn enough points in any given section, they are required to complete the corresponding module. Is there a way for new quizzes to calculate scores per section? And then, can those individual scores be used to create a mastery path to a corresponding module? (I may have asked a similar question in the past, but I can't locate it in the Community.)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ryan_corris
Community Contributor

Hey @klwhiteside !  As far as I am aware, there is not a way for Mastery Paths to identify how students have done on various sections of a quiz.  The path chosen for students is from the cumulative score and not individual parts.  This would be a neat idea to explore though.

Canvas quizzes aren't really meant to calculate scores per section.  However, one way I have "kind of" done this in the past is using the values of the digits in the various place values of the score.  I am not saying this is a great way of doing this, but it could give you a possible look into how the students did on each section by viewing the score.

First, you would need to have just a few questions for each section.  For this example, lets say there are three sections and each section has five questions.

• Every question for section one is worth 100 points.
  • Every question for section two is worth 10 points.
  • Every question for section three is worth 1 point.

With five questions for each section the total points for this quiz would be 555.  (100 x5   10x5   1x5)

Once students have taken the quiz you can use the digits in the place value columns to understand how they did on each section.  For example...

• A score of 525 would show that they aced section 1 and 3, but need to work on section 2.
  • A score of 411 would show that they did well on section 1, but did not do well on sections 2 and 3.
  • A score of 333 would shoe that they are in the middle of the road for all sections.

I know this is a bit abstract, but I hope this makes sense.  Again, this will not help with Mastery Paths, but it can give a quick visual for how they did on each section.

View solution in original post