Canvas Studio disappeared from my PC and can't redownload it

Jump to solution
avvac
Community Member

I have a Windows 11 laptop. I recently downloaded Canvas Studio onto it. The first time, it worked just fine. The second time, it opened and I clicked on the settings button on the recorder and it completely disappeared, closing out the recorder. I don't know what happened, but there's no trace of it on my laptop anywhere except for a file called "Screen Recorder Launcher" in appdata which I can't delete. 

Every time I try to redownload the recorder, my laptop says it's already on there so then it doesn't download it. I've tried looking for answers, but can't seem to find any.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Team
Community Team

@avvac ...

Out of curiosity, when you are in Canvas Studio, are you referring to going to the "Create" button and then selecting "Screencast-o-Matic"?  If so, I typically have to download that every time, too.  Do you have any kind of blockers on your browser that would be preventing it from launching?  If this is what you are using, you should eventually see a black/white dashed box on your screen where you can select the area of your screen to record.

I'm not 100% sure I've helped to answer your question, but please come back to provide some more details so folks here in the Community can continue to help you.

View solution in original post

avvac
Community Member
Author

The first time I used it, I did click on "Create" -> "Capture", did the download, and the black/white box did pop up in which I successfully recorded a video. The second time, it didn't prompt me with the download and just went straight to the recorder before disappearing somehow (every time I tried to download/open it again, it would give me an error). I do use Opera GX as a browser, though, which does automatically disable tracking and ads. I turned them all off, but still had issues.

And since you mentioned that it could be the browser screwing with it, I went onto Microsoft Edge instead out of curiosity and the Canvas Studio recorder worked right away! I guess it doesn't like Opera very much.

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post