what time is stamped on submissions

Jump to solution
dheup
Community Participant

Simple question - what time is stamped when a student clicks submit? I had someone ask what happens if a student attempts to submit an assignment a minute before it is due, but because of the size of the file and slow internet, it takes 2 minutes to upload.  Will it be marked late?  Of course, my first thought was "don't wait till the last minute", but I figured I should get the correct answer.

Thanks 

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @dheup,

I think the answer to this could vary depending on whether your school/institution (or course) has enabled the Assignment Enhancements/Redesign feature or not.

My institution has that enabled, and within the submission workflow there, a file has to be uploaded first before a student hits the submit button, so the time is exactly when the student hits the submit button.  I looked at the guide for the original Assignments interface to refresh my memory, and I do believe it's the same scenario I just described for the redesigned assignments interface too, but I seem to recall that the submit button may have been clickable there before a file was done uploading.  In that scenario, I think the submission would show an error for the student.  It's been a number of years since we've used that interface at my institution though, so the situation may have changed slightly since then.

Overall, I think the intention is that files have to be uploaded before a submission would be generated, and the time shows them the submission happened and would therefore have to be after the files were uploaded.

Hope this helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes