"Resource does not exist" only on iOS app?

Jump to solution
ChrisGage
Community Novice

I upload PDFs to my files (not course files) and then link to them in several assignments. Students who are using the iOS app have sent me screenshots of an error message, "The specified resource does not exist," when they try to click the file link to download. However, if I send them the URL of the link, they can download it without issue.

Anyone else have this problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello @ChrisGage ...

Can you confirm how you are currently linking to files in your course?  For example, if you are linking to a PDF file in your personal Canvas user files, I assume that you are following the steps in this Guide:

How do I create hyperlinks to course, group, and u... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Note, unless I am missing something in your process, I still think that uploading your file to your course "Files" (instead of your user "Files") would be a good idea...which is also covered in the above link.  Then, at the end of the semester or near the beginning of the new semester, you could import your content to a new course shell, and your file and any link that you had created to it will update automatically.

If I am understanding your option #2 correctly ... I think you may have a misunderstanding of what Commons is and who it is meant for.  Commons is a global repository of many types of course content (entire courses, modules, quizzes, discussion topics, pages, assignments, etc.)  It is not meant for students.  In fact, students never see the "Commons" global navigation button in their view.  (You can test this by using the Test Student role in your course, and you'll see that the "Commons" button disappears from their view.)  Commons is meant for instructors and administrators to import content that has been shared from people all over the world into their own courses.  I recognize that each resource in Commons has a button to "Copy Resource Link" [see the section labeled "View Resource" in How do I use Commons? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)], and I'm not sure if this might be what you had tried using in your own courses.  However, to be honest, I've never seen instructors use the "Copy Resource Link" button as a way for their students to view the content that is in Commons.  Typically, instructors would import the content from Commons into their own course(s).  Like I said, the Commons interface generally isn't for student use.

Re: option #3, I tried linking to a PDF file and a Word document on a page I created in my own sandbox course.  Then, I logged in to Canvas on my iPhone using the Canvas Student app.  I was able to view both files just fine.  Not sure why it would be any different for you and your students.

And finally, re: option #4, I can see where linking to a file from your Google Drive would be handy...because if you needed to make a change to the file after you had linked/embedded the file in your courses, you would only have to change it one time rather than going into each course.  The only down-side I see to this is that the file is not stored directly in your Canvas courses.

I'm not sure if any of this will be helpful or not, but just thought I'd share my $0.02 ... for what it's worth.  Let me know if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes