help with viewing students' progress

Jump to solution
burrrg
Community Novice

when I click on "view progress" under modules, all of my students are marked as completing all of their assignments.  however, I just set up the class and half of them haven't even been on canvas yet.  is there a way to reset or make the "view progress" accurate?

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @burrrg  - Indeed, this can happen if you have no prerequisites/requirements in modules and use modules as a good topical or unit overview for a course (and they're great for that purpose!).  As this guide points out towards the bottom of the page:

• Modules that have no completion requirements, or modules where the students have completed the requirements, will be marked as completed.

The key, of course, are the first few words.  To test this out further, I created a brand new course site (I'm a Canvas admin), populated it with students, and imported module-based material into the course and, indeed, even though not student had not yet set a virtual foot in the class, everyone in the class was marked as completing things.

You can still create prerequisites/requirements for the modules, if you like--and the guide I linked to points to further documentation on how to do that--though depending on the material you will may also get dialog boxes warning you that requirements have change, and such a box is illustrated on those other pages referenced. Setting up requirements will effectively "reset" the module progress that you're presently seeing, but everyone's situation may be different with this depending on just how much the students who did get into the course access the various resources.

This is all a very long way of saying that while View Progress works, it's really more useful with prerequisites/requirements!

Hope this helps, Robert.

View solution in original post