Latest Topics

The latest questions and discussions in Canvas Question Forum. Ask a question, start a discussion, contribute to the global Instructure Community

Filter by Label:

Any plans to allow teachers to (temporarily) hide columns in gradebook?I know it was suggested a while ago as an idea - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3477-hide-grade-columns-for-teacher-gradebook but I cannot see any mention of it on the Phas...

• 18 Likes
  • 11 Replies

Is there a way to export student email addresses that are stored in Canvas? I need to create accounts for my students in another program and would like to use the email address that they currently have stored in Canvas as their primary email address....

• 8 Likes
  • 12 Replies

Is it possibe to create an out of office notificaton for messaging? It has become apprant this something we need to be able to do withlin canvasIf not - is it the case that if X messages Y in canvas and Y is away, an out of office notificaton from Ys...

• 6 Likes
  • 18 Replies

If I create a user manually and don't assign a password, are they "up the creek" when they try to log-in or is there some default password they get assigned when their account is created? 

• 3 Likes
  • 11 Replies

My institution has a need to remove the "export course" option from TA profiles. Any ideas on how to do this? I'm not seeing an obvious permission. 

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 10 Likes
  • 15 Replies

I am in the process of cleaning up my Canvas Training courses. Some of them go back almost 2 years and most of the teachers can't even access them because of the date restrictions. Is there anyway to do a mass delete for this course? Some were set up...

• 9 Likes
  • 8 Replies

A student at our school has found a bit of a "hack" into the muted grade lock down that I would like the share with the community. The student discovered the hack, told us about it, and even made a YouTube video showing the exploit.The way it works:A...

• 20 Likes
  • 13 Replies

My husband and I both use Canvas at our institution--Houston Community College.  He is experiencing a problem.We spot check averages to be careful.  Tonight, we discovered that his end of the semester grades are averaging approximately two points hig...

• 5 Likes
  • 10 Replies

I do not want Canvas to calculate my students' final letter grade. I want the freedom to issue the semester letter grade in an additional grade center column. For example, a student earns 895 points out of 1000, a B on my grade scale--but the student...

Community Novice
Canvas Question Forum
  • 8 Likes
  • 10 Replies

I've submitted a feature request for Scheduled Reports. We have reports we run on a regular basis and it would be nice to have these reports run at a pre-determined day/time on a schedule.https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8465-schedule-reports 

Community Novice
Canvas Question Forum
  • 8 Likes
  • 4 Replies

I have an instructor that splits her class into groups and has them discuss among themselves. She wants to know if there is a way that, after the discussion has taken place, she can open the group discussions up where everyone in the class can see ea...

• 4 Likes
  • 17 Replies

Hi all! An organization that I am working with would like to integrate a social networking aspect into their possible Canvas course. They would like to have a community of practice where both current and past students can share discussions, work, and...

• 8 Likes
  • 12 Replies

Hi Canvas Community,I'm creating a guide to using Prerequisites and Requirements in Canvas courses, and I'm looking for tips, best practices, gotchas, limitations, and innovative ways you've used Prerequisites and Requirements in your courses. If you...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 26 Likes
  • 29 Replies

I've finished creating a Quiz (really an exam) in my Canvas course. I normally have three sections, which I've made into Question Sets: Matching, Quote ID ("Essay Question" type), and Short Answer (also "Essay Question" type).I normally give students...

• 8 Likes
  • 16 Replies

Hi there,I simply want to re-order the multiple quizzes that I have created within one of my courses, but there is no simple option for re-ordering them. I can't drag and drop, and no obvious way in any drop-down menus to alter the order.If I wanted ...

• 6 Likes
  • 22 Replies

Hi,I have been using OneNote Class Notebook for a number of years in Teaching, and have existing resources/lesson plans all ready done. My question is, our school has just changed to Canvas LMS, and it seems to link with OneNote seamlessly, BUT only ...

• 3 Likes
  • 9 Replies

Is there a quick way to report INDIVIDUAL grade reports for each student in a course? I know I can export all grades to excel and I can click on a student and print their individual grade report. But is there one button that will create a report for ...

• 11 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Yesterday I had a strange issue - a published page was invisible to students. The module was open and other pages were visible. Removing the requirements in the module setting did not allow students to see the page. Removing the page from the module ...

Community Novice
Canvas Question Forum
  • 9 Likes
  • 22 Replies

Is it possible to hide grading totals until a later date in the semester? I want students to see the graded assignments, but not the overall total grade at this time.

• 5 Likes
  • 6 Replies

What exactly does "Remember, changes to question templates won't automatically update quizzes that are already using those questions." mean? When I find an error in a quiz question that pulls from a bank and I fix the question, have I really fixed th...

• 1 Likes
  • 11 Replies

We are using SCORM packages as graded assignments for compliance courses.  As it happens the content has been changed and needs to be updated.  We have not found a way to replace or overwrite the current SCORM package with the new content and maintai...

• 6 Likes
  • 20 Replies

At my admin training I remember our trainer mentioning where I can look to see the current bugs being worked on in Canvas. Does anyone know where this is?

• 4 Likes
  • 7 Replies

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone knew how to turn off the ability for TAs and Teachers to access and change the course settings. I can't see this anywhere in the permissions.Our institution has set content and processes so we do not want anything ...

• 4 Likes
  • 6 Replies

Is there a way to see if a student saw an announcement?  Are there statistics showing how many of the students in a course saw an announcement?

• 8 Likes
  • 9 Replies

I want to assign point values (1 through X) for multiple answer quiz questions, but I don't want the students to have the "hint" that a point value would offer. I do not see a "hide point value" option, as I had in Schoology. How do I do this? Thanks...

• 3 Likes
  • 10 Replies

In Canvas, once there are a self-organized group been created, the Student Groups will be created. the Student Groups tab will then stay in the People page forever.I can not find a way to remove it even there are no more groups inside.Can anybody sho...

Community Explorer
Canvas Question Forum
  • 5 Likes
  • 12 Replies

Something that drives me slightly bananas every semester is the problem faculty face when they're asked to turn in their syllabus to their department. The faculty who try to get with the technology and create their class in Canvas complete with assig...

Community Contributor
Canvas Question Forum
  • 12 Likes
  • 5 Replies

I had instructor give a quiz.  There are a total of 21 students in the class, and all 21 took a quiz last week.  When I click on Quiz Statistics, the Quiz Summary only shows 15 respondents and their coordinating responses.  The instructor allowed two...

Community Champion
Canvas Question Forum
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 Replies

How is the “Total Activity” time that’s shown on the people page in Canvas calculated.  Is it based on total interaction time on pages?  How does “hang time” between interactions get taken into account?  If at all.

• 20 Likes
  • 37 Replies

I'd like to print a Canvas calendar; is there a function to create a PDF or somesuch? Also, what will print when I print?

• 3 Likes
  • 4 Replies