What is the best way to copy announcements from one semester to another?

Jump to solution
jlewenstein
Community Member

Hola Canvas,

First of all, thank you for your support.  I'm both impressed and appreciative for all of your responses to my questions.

Here we go:

Each semester I create a large number of announcements that I would like to reuse in the future.

Currently, I copy and paste each announcement - one by one - into a new semester.

Is there a more efficient way to do this.

Can I just change the dates on the announcements and re-publish them?  I see them there already to go!

Below, I've inserted an image to let you know how they look.  I may have like 100 more to go.  

* I like to keep in constant contact with my students.   I believe the announcements help.

335771_canvas announcements - cod - unpublished - snip.PNG

Please let me know.  I appreciate anything you might have to share.

Thank you for all you do.

Paz,

JL

0 Likes
1 Solution
naomi_h
Community Explorer

Hi Jay and welcome to the Community,

We also have many courses in our institution that reuse their Announcements for all sorts of reasons (to help drive a course or as regular prompts to keep students on track).

The simplest way we've gone about solving this is to use the Course Import Tool (as long as your institution hasn't turned this feature off). You can apply it in a number of ways, but for your purpose you could use it to select specific (or all) announcements and import these on mass. 

This guide might be helpful How do I select specific content as part of a course import? 

Once you have your previous announcements in your current shell, I'd suggest setting up delayed posting dates on them all so that they are not all visible to students all at once (which can be a bit overwhelming). You can set up your announcements to release during specific weeks across the semester or even post them all to the end of the semester and then modify them as you need them. 

Hope that helps

Naomi

Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes