Using browser add-ons to enable importing offline rubrics to Speedegrader

Jump to solution
l_m_turner
Community Member

Hi

I have had a number of instructors in my school ask if there is any way to import a rubric created offline in Excel into Canvas to be used within Speedgrader,

A previous Canvas Community response states that this is not possible and if you want to actually use a rubric in Canvas, then it needs to be created from scratch, which is cumbersome and time-consuming.

I have done a bit of digging online and found some institutions saying they have gotten around this problem by using browser add-ons such as Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey or Violentmonkey and installing a 'Rubric Importer user script'.

Further investigation suggests that of these three add-ons, only Greasemonkey may be safe.

Has anyone else used any of these as a work-around or is it a bad idea?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
melodyc_lam
Community Coach
Community Coach

@l_m_turner 

I use Tampermonkey personally for other user scripts and a browser add-on like these are safe AS LONG AS you know what Javascript (user script) you're adding to them. By themselves, they don't do anything. They're just ways of injecting Javascript into the page.

Ultimately, it's on the user to ensure that the user script that you are using is safe and will not compromise anything in your browser, including but not limited to, session cookies, information on the page, etc.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post