Using LTI Integration as a Placement

Jump to solution
SMalone703
Community Member

I am attempting to add an LTI link to the main navigation menu according to the guide linked below.  However, for the tool I am attempting to add, I only see placement options for assignment and link selection.  Is there a way to enable the navigation menu option?

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Admin-Guide/How-do-I-manage-external-app-placements-for-an-accoun...

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @SMalone703 

The placement options are part of the app/LTI installation/configuration.  if you are installing an LTI 1.3 app and creating a developer key as part of the installation, you can adjust the placement options as part of the developer key settings.  

For LTI 1.1 apps, it's more complicated.   If the app is configured by pasting XML, you can edit XML to include additional placements for the app.  If the app is configured by URL, that is directing you to an XML configuration file, and you can go to the URL and download the XML file, then edit the contents of the XML configuration file to include extra placements, then install the app using "Paste XML" instead of "By URL" and paste your modified XML.

The placement for the course menu is "course_navigation", and it requires inserting XML in the configuration that looks something like

<blti:extensions platform="canvas.instructure.com">
<lticm:property name="privacy_level">public</lticm:property>
<lticm:options name="course_navigation">
<lticm:property name="enabled">true</lticm:property>
</lticm:options>
</blti:extensions>

View solution in original post