Using Groups for Assignments and then deleting the group set - is the submitted work still there?

Jump to solution
jc71
Community Member

I have in-class assignments that ask students to co-author a file in real time.  The catch is that I want them in different groups for different assignments.

My plan is to create a group set, allow students to self sign up, randomly assign a leader, and have the leader create a collaboration document inside the Group space.  When they finish, they will save the file outside of Canvas so that they can upload a copy of the document to a Group Assignment.  

My understanding is that the uploaded document then is visible to each individual group member through their grades area and that the feedback I enter once will be visible to all (I'm not selecting individualize grades). What I want to do then, after I've finished grading the assignment, is to delete the group set.

Once the group set is deleted, will the submitted work and feedback/grades still be visible to each of the students who was a member of the now-deleted group?  

I'll then set up a new group set for the next in-class assignment that they have. Are there any difficulties you think I'd be likely to encounter with this workflow?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jc71,

I would not advise deleting the group set at all (in fact, Canvas may not even let you delete it once it's used for an assignment).  If Canvas does allow you to delete the group set, it will almost for sure break the grading, because the system will no longer know which students should have gotten which grade, as only one person truly submits for the group.

Your plan sounds solid otherwise though.  You can have multiple group sets with no issues whatsoever.  As long as you take the "delete" out of the plan, creating a new group set for each assignment should do exactly what you're hoping for the assignments.

Hope this info is useful!

-Chris

View solution in original post