Users unable to Contact via Profile

Jump to solution
LamCake
Community Member

I am in the IT department and an admin for our school's Canvas account. 

An instructor informed me that students have been trying to contact instructors by navigating to the teacher's profile via the People list in the class. However, when either a student or a teacher load a profile, there is nothing listed below the Contact heading (see attached). When I view a user's profile as my admin account, I see a button to message the user (see attached).  I scoured the Permissions tab but don't see anything that would control this behavior. How do I get the same functionality for students and teachers?

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @LamCake ...

I'm a little confused as to why students are trying to contact the instructor by navigating to the teacher's profile page via the "People" list.  In my opinion, there are a couple easier ways that students can reach out to their instructor.

1. Canvas Inbox.  Students can easily use the Canvas Inbox to send a message directly to their instructor.  Students can use the instructions found in this Guide: How do I send a message to a user in a course in t... - Instructure Community - 502 (canvaslms.com)
  2. Via the Help menu.  If students click on the Help icon in the left-hand global navigation menu, there is an option for Ask Your Instructor a Question.  Students can contact the instructor directly by filling out a little form...which gets sent to the instructor.  How do I get help with Canvas as a student?

Do you think either of these options would be better for your needs?  In my opinion, I think your students will find that using either of these options will be better...and more than likely, other instructors will also use the Canvas Inbox method to message students, too.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Let Community members know if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes