Student Unable to Get Through Respondus Environment Check or Gets Kicked Out with Message That Face Isn't View

Jump to solution
lfleming
Community Member

I have a student who has been struggling with taking her Canvas exams using Respondus LockDown browser and webcam.  For the past year, she has had no issues.  However, this semester, she has a problem getting through the environment check as it is telling her that her face is not in view.  I didn't think face needed to be in view for environment check. If she gets into the test, she often gets kicked out with a message that her face is not view, even though it clearly is in view.

I am wondering if something has changed with the Canvas-Respondus interface in the past several months that may be causing these issues.  She has had her internet checked (and it is fine) and used 3 different devices, always with the same problem.

I would appreciate any thoughts on why this may be happening and how to correct it.  Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @lfleming 

There is no facial detection during the "Environment Check" step, but after the environment check recording is complete, LockDown Browser will go through a "Facial detection" step before letting the student into the test.  It will also check to be sure that the student's face can be detected while the attempt is in progress, if you have that enabled in the test settings.

Problems with facial detection can be due to the lighting/camera position/background, or they can be due to having insufficient resources on the computer.  See https://support.respondus.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409604362651-Your-face-isn-t-showing-clearly-in-the... 

View solution in original post