Separate grading schemes

Jump to solution
KimTimpone
Community Novice

I teach a course where students need to complete 3 separate requirements to pass. They must:

1. Attend an event (1 event, complete/incomplete)

2. Complete all assignments (several assignments, complete/incomplete)

3. Attend a certain number of class sessions (attend 8/10 sessions)

Is it possible to set up the gradebook to acknowledge these 3 different assignment types and requirements? 

When I have set up the gradebook, it shows a point value or percentage for each, but it is not accurately reflecting the mandatory requirements that they must complete. For example, if a student completed all assignments and attended the required number of class sessions, but did not attend the event, they would not receive credit. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
paul_fynn
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @KimTimpone , @MonikNyrén ,

I'm not aware of this functionality being within the native Canvas Assignments function and grading - in our institution we manage assignment settings from a bespoke dashboard in e-vision, and in turn our SITS based student information system will receive a Speedgrader based calculation to determine the final mark.

However, you can do a variety of cumulative grading approaches if you are prepared tp deploy Canvas Mastery Outcomes. These function in a similar way to Rubric criteria, to the exten that you can choose to incorporate the Outcome as part of the grading calculation, or use it to monitor requirements which are not actually part of teh academic calculation (eg completion of Health and Safety Test, Ethics Quiz etc.)

You can read more about Outcomes here:- https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/What-are-Outcomes/ta-p/75 

View solution in original post

0 Likes