Quiz scores not calculating correctly in Grades

Jump to solution
BarbaraBesal
Community Member

Antecedent: Teacher is reusing quizzes from previous years or terms. They copy the quiz to their class when the new term starts. When the quiz is coming up, they go into the quiz and add or remove a few questions which changes the total number of points. Then the students take the quiz. 

Problem Behavior: The grades that are showing the Grades tab are calculating incorrectly.

Scenario: Teacher had a unit test made with 79 total points copied into into his class. The night before administering the test, the teacher added several questions and changed the total score to 95 points. The students took the test the next day. In the Moderate tab within the test, all scores calculate properly. In the Grades tab in Canvas, none of the scores calculates properly. They all tabulate in a strange way (explained below) that uses the original total score of 79. 

Example: (image attached)

Student 1 scored a 77 out of 95 on the test, which correctly tabulates to an 81.05% in the moderate tab. In the Grades area, the percentage score is incorrectly calculated as a 67.4%.

What seems to be is happening is the grades score is taking the percentage from the Moderate tab and then applying it to the original total. 81.05% x 79 = 64.02. This would be the number of points earned if the score had been out of 79. 

THEN -- and this is the real headscratcher -- it takes that number of points it calculated and puts it OVER THE NEW SCORE. 64.02 / 95 = 67.4%. That's the grade that gets reported out in the grades tab.

Why is this happening and how do we avoid it? Do the teachers need to duplicate the quiz before making changes? After making changes? This has caused a problem for several teachers and probably more who may not have noticed. The Grades tab is what gets passed back to our SIS, and if it's wrong and teachers don't notice until the scores are already sent, that will cause an even bigger headache. Please fix this calculation problem, and in the meantime, tell us how to avoid it.

0 Likes
1 Solution
RobbieParm
Community Member

Hello,

Are you talking about New Quizzes? My institution has been having this exact same issue for a number of months now. I have been working with Canvas L2 Support on this issue for months as well. It's been a very slow moving process. 

We did find a workaround for now. The instructor needs to go into SpeedGrader, pick a random student, and use the regrade feature on one question. You don't have to change anything about the question, but you need to initiate the regrade feature and then all student scores will be updated and fixed. 

Canvas Support tried to blame our instructors, telling us they are changing point values after students have began taking the quiz. This is false. They also tried to tell us that after updating the points value, we need to wait a couple of minutes for the points to update before students take the quiz and everything should be fine. This is also not true. Our instructors are adjusting the quiz and points days/weeks before students begin taking the quiz and we still are encountering the issue.

I am continuing to work with Canvas Support on this issue for my institution. Canvas Support also told me they found an engineering ticket open on the issue. I would suggest you open a ticket with Canvas and escalate it to Level 2 Support as soon as you can. It took a couple months for Level 2 Support to find that an engineering ticket was opened about the issue. I'd mention the engineering ticket and give as many details as possible to limit the time it takes to pass information back and forth. Level 2 Support has such a high volume of tickets, we are averaging only one response per week from them.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post