Observer and Student Role in Same Course

Jump to solution
jlhummel
Community Explorer

Hello,

We have recently begun using the Observer role in some courses to link student mentors and tutors with students in need.  However, we're running into an unforeseen issue. Some observers are also students in the same class.  When they look at the grade book they are not seeing their own grades.  It is only showing them their linked person who they are mentoring.  How can they switch to see their own grades?

Student enrolled as student and observer role:

screencap1.jpg

Acting as student and unable to see own grades.  Only able to see the grades of the student they are observing:

screencap2.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jlhummel,

In similar situations I've run into before, Canvas Support has always told me that a user having multiple roles in the same course is not really a supported state.  Sometimes things ca work okay, but there are some situations where the roles just conflict and you end up with something like this where you can only see things as one role or the other.  I know this isn't a solution, but I really would recommend finding a different way to do this than to have users with a student and observer role in the same course.

Again, I hope this helps, and it is basically the current state of things in Canvas so I'm going to mark it as the answer.

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes