Link to links in Modules?

Jump to solution
CynthiaLogan
Community Member

I was told not to upload files to Canvas.  Rather, we were instructed to link documents from our OneDrive or Google Drive.  However, once I'm creating a Page, I cannot figure out how to link my links to the Page.  For those who used to use itslearning, this was called a Tree Link.  Can anyone help me with this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Solutions
emily_beckman
Community Contributor

Hi @CynthiaLogan ,

The below options will vary depending on what your institution has allowed/set up.

Microsoft 365/OneDrive

Google Drive

If neither of these is installed/connected you can always create hyperlinks from the documents and link them to your pages/assignments using the chain-link in the rich content editor. You can read about all things New Rich Content Editor here or review the below images.

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 11.52.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-22 at 11.52.20 AM.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@CynthiaLogan ...

I am not sure why you would be told not to upload files to your course.  Both Google and O365 (OneDrive) are third-party applications that can be integrated into Canvas.  I can understand that if you already have files stored in one of these places, then it would be convenient to want to link to those files directly from there.  But, if you have files uploaded to your "Files" area of the course, then you can also quickly link to those files (documents, PDFs, images, etc.) within the course, and you don't have to worry about using third-party applications like Google or O365.  Here are a handful of Guides that show you how you can add files to your content pages in your course:

Hope this helps a bit!

0 Likes
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

Hi @CynthiaLogan ,

In your title you mention Modules, but in your text you ask about Pages. @emily_beckman showed you how to add hyperlinks on a Page. But if you are using Modules, you can link directly to your documents in the Module. When you add an item to the Module, select "External URL" from the drop-down menu. For a Google Doc, you will use the Copy Link feature and just copy that into the URL box. I don't use OneDrive in this way but assume it has a similar feature.

How do I add an external URL as a module item?

When your students access the Module, they will be able to click on the links there and be taken to the files.

Either method works; it is personal preference as to how you want your students to be exposed to and access the links.