Images in Discussions auto size

Jump to solution
nathan_bockelma
Community Member

I teach Art- Drawing & Illustration on Canvas. Students have to submit images of their work not just to me but to the discussions so they can see each other's work. It is very important for students to look at each other's work and progress. Student's are generally sharing only a few images each but with some activities (especially blind contouring and gesture drawing) students must share up to 20-30 images of their work in these discussions. It would not be fair to ask them to do less bc that is part of the process for these styles. So they are given ample time to take documentation of their work. When they get to submitting to the discussions on Canvas, it display their images their native size (which is usually gigantic) and then these discussion threads are a mile long with grossly huge images and no one wants to look at them. Even when a class of 20 submit only 1 to 2 images each. So, I then have to ask students to size each of their photos to 'Extra-Large.' They can't do that in a batch they have to click on each individual image to size it correctly. I also have to spend all semester policing this.

I have look on the community threads and called Canvas- which is now just the Distance Education department of my college and see there is no solution to this. These are visual art classes and it very important students are able to comfortably view theirs and other's work throughout the semester without all this hassle. 

Myself and other art faculty would love it if Canvas gave an option to 'auto-size' images in discussions. Auto-Size to 'Extra Large' would be ideal but just a way to help control the sizing because it is really out of control.

0 Likes
1 Solution
paul_fynn
Community Coach
Community Coach

Welcome to Canvas @nathan_bockelma 

Have you checked thsi page for details of how to manage image sizes :- https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-manage-alt-text-and-display-options-for-im...

You could also provide this link to any discussion instructions for your students. 

I'd also recommend teaching your students (and colleagues) how to compress images prior to upload - online storage is neither financially nor ecologically cost free, and compressing images helps reduce bandwith, demand for servers and server farms, and makes the images quicker to download where connectivity or device capacity is low.

View solution in original post