Grouping of Students for grading not working anymore!!

Jump to solution
EmilyJardine
Community Member

Hi, so in my course groups are set up under the people tab. Students join the group and then only one student from that group has to submit the assignment because it is a group video. I used to be able to then see the video pop up for all of the students in the group and could send an audio voice feedback back to the whole group. Well now when one student submits, it just says it's missing for the other students and I cannot send the feedback to all the students. Any ideas on why this is?

I know I am not clicking the "send comment to this student only" button when commenting on the assignment, I am clicking "send comment to the whole group."

I also know that I "cloned" groups to make new groups under the people tab when I needed to make some changes to the groups. But I never had problems with this happening after doing this in other classes.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello @EmilyJardine 

Thanks for posting this in the Canvas Community! 

Without being able to take a look at your specific example or this, I would not be able to say 100% what is causing this to happen. However, there are a few things you can check on your end. 

• In the assignment edit screen, do you have the option enabled for Assign grades to each student individually? 
  • You mentioned that you cloned the groups. Is the assignment still assigned to the old group set before it was cloned in the people page? 
  • I am assuming that this is not the case, but wanted to ask. Did you assign the assignment to the specific group in the "Assign to" box without selecting the groupset in the groups assignment setting? The reason I ask is because I have seen that done by accident a few times. 

let us know! Keep in touch! 

-Colton 

View solution in original post