Duplicating assignments, but retaining class assignments/times

DarynWilliams1
Community Member

A couple of other people have asked this, and there hasn't been an answer other than a "yeah, me too", so here it goes.

I have a problem on the board that I give at the beginning of every class.  I want the students to turn in their answers in Canvas so I can give them the participation credit, and so I can capture writing samples. 
I set up the assignment as online text box submission.  I differentiate the open times so they can't start early, and the due times so that if they haven't turned it in by 10 minutes after the class starts, I can see that.  Since it is only for the beginning of class, I don't want them dragging it out throughout the class, but if a student comes in late, I will often tell them to do the problem when we're in individual work time.

When I copy the assignment so I can change the day and use it as a template for the next day, there is no differentiation information in it, so I have to go back through and type it all in.  There is no advantage to using the copy tool since 90% of the information that I need to copy is the differentiation info.

Is there a way to make a "Class time" differentiation template?  The dates and assignments could change, but not the available time, due time, and until time for each class.

The ideal workflow would be:

1. Copy a generic assignment from my Sandbox to my Course -- This would have all of the bones of the assignment (instructions, questions, formatting, etc.), but would have no information in the "Assign" section
  2. Change the assignment name in the Course -- Makes sense to have a specific assignment name now instead of "Generic Assignment Copy"
  3. Apply a due date to the assignment -- The times and specific classes aren't assigned yet, but the date is filled in the assignment "Available From" "Until" and "Due"
  4. Apply a class/time differentiation template -- Now the "Assigned To" classes get filled in from the template and the assignment "Available From" "Until" and "Due" times are added
  5. Publish the assignment

Steps 4 & 5 are interchangeable, or could be performed in the same step.  The larger issue is if I have 6 sections of the same course, copying a daily assignment is incredibly labor intensive, and almost not worth the trouble.

0 Likes