Create a Volunteer Management System - And Link to Required Courses--part 2

Jump to solution
tridoc1
Community Member

This is part two of a multi-faceted question.

I'm the director of a student run free clinic for a large healthcare university. We have huge numbers of students and licensed professionals who volunteer for these events every year, plus hundreds of students who attend the events as credit for required courses.  

We had a custom crafted volunteer management system to manage all our events.  It is extremely robust and amazing. However. The designer has moved on, and every year, it becomes more and more difficult to troubleshoot problems & keep it functional. 

I have 100 student coordinators who organize the other students through events, and they need to be able to sign up for multiple events (1 per month), while other students are only able to sign up for 1 event per quarter.  I have already created a "student coordinator" role for the umbrella course, but don't see how I can individualize the sign-up permissions for group appointments.  Suggestions?

Thx!  mm

0 Likes
1 Solution
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello again @tridoc1 

It looks like you are asking about setting up group appointments in Canvas. 

If I understand your question correctly, you want to have your student coordinators create events in Canvas and limit the amount of times regular students can sign up for an event? 

With the scheduler in the Canvas calendar you can setup events and limit how many users can sign up for the event. If you are using groups in Canvas, you can also limit it for students in that group. HERE is a guide on how to do that. One thing to keep in mind is if you are using groups, when using the group signup option, only one group member needs to sign up for a time slot on behalf of their group. Each member in the group will see the appointment on their own group calendar.

I believe that you could easily setup the event for the students who sign up for 1 per quarter. 

For the students who need to sign up for multiple ones, I am not sure if there is a way to allow them to sign up for multiple ones with one event. You could technically create an event for each day you want to allow them to sign up if they need to multiple ones per Month. Someone from the community might be able to correct me on that if I am wrong. 

Hopefully this helps a bit! 

-Colton

View solution in original post

0 Likes