Which apps are visible by default?

Can you add or turn some off?

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @KendylNeill11,

I think there are a lot of variables at play in this question.  What your role is (admin, teacher, etc), what kind of Canvas instance you're running (a paid Instructure-hosted Canvas, open-source, modified, etc), the permissions that are granted to your role, where you're looking for apps (course vs account), and maybe even others I can't think of at the moment.

I'll attempt to answer to the best of my knowledge for the default setup of an Instructure-hosted instance here...

A few of the default Canvas tools are actually external apps (New Quizzes, Attendance and Chat come to mind, but I know there are others too), so those will likely be installed for you at the root account.  If you're a full admin, you can visit your root account settings to see those.  In addition, if you're a full admin, you should be able to visit the same area and see the list of available apps from eduappcenter (kind of like an App Store for Canvas).  Some of those apps will be available for free, others would require a subscription.  You can also add apps manually if you have the permission, using instructions that the vendors usually provide.

For teachers, they may see a similar app list and manual add button in their course settings area, but oftentimes schools/institutions do not give teachers the ability to see those in order to protect student grades, privacy, etc.  Administrators can also basically filter what apps are available to teachers from the eduappcenter area if they want to.

In terms of removing things, a full admin could remove anything they wanted from an account at any time, knowing they may be breaking certain courses by doing so.  Teachers may be able to remove certain course-level apps, but would definitely not be able to remove things administrators have installed at an account-wide level.

Does this help answer your question?  Do you have more specifics you were looking to get answers about?  Let us know!

-Chris

View solution in original post