Can students email the entire class?

Jump to solution
jipnet
Community Member

Is there a way that students can post announcements or email their peers as an ensemble in Canvas?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jipnet ...

Students are not allowed to post announcements in a course.  That is a function that only instructors are able to do...as far as I know.  Now, with that being said, I suppose what you *could* do is to create a group set in your course...then put a group in that group set with all your students.  I *think* that would allow your students to post announcements just to the group...but not to the actual course.  Another option for you might be to create a discussion topic in your course specifically for your students to post replies that could sort of be like announcements to other students.

As far as students contacting each other in your course...yes, they can use the Canvas Inbox for this.  Keep in mind that the Inbox is a messaging system, and it's not the same as standard e-mail that you and I are used to using in MS Outlook or some other e-mail client.  The Inbox is only meant as a means to be in contact with other students and instructors who are enrolled in the same course(s) that you are enrolled in.  (You can't, for example send/receive messages to your friends and family via the Canvas Inbox because they aren't enrolled in these courses like you are.)

How do I send a message to all course users in the... - Instructure Community - 308 (canvaslms.com)

Hopefully this helps to explain things for you.  Sing out if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post