Assignment Group Weights

Jump to solution
wetherme
Community Explorer

Is there a way to set up the Gradebook so that I have 5 Assignment Groups, but if a student fails one of the groups, they fail the class? 

Example: 

Group 1: 10% 

Group 2: 10% 

Group 3: 80%

Group 4: Must achieve 75% or higher to pass the course.

Group 5: Must achieve 75% or higher to pass the course.

Thank you. 

1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

That's an interesting question, @wetherme. Canvas doesn't like assignment group weights to add up to anything other than 100%, so I wonder if groups 1-3 can add up to 100% how much groups 4 and 5 will contribute to the grade. Whatever that answer is, unfortunately the Canvas gradebook does not have the sophisticated features (like IF/THEN statements) that would do what you want automatically. What I would do is download the grades from Canvas and use some formulas in Google Sheets or MS Excel to calculate the class grade. The Canvas Guides has documents that describes how to do this:

How do I export grades in the Gradebook? 

Since there is a Total grade, you probably will want to hide that until after you have completed your calculations and are ready to give students their final grade:

How do I hide totals in my students' grade summaries? 

Finally, the grade from your calculation might not match what Canvas calculates, so your students will be best served if you override the final grade that Canvas calculates:

How do I override a student's final grade in the Gradebook?

I’m going to mark my response as a solution, but there can be more than one. I hope our colleagues here in the Community can share other options for meeting your interests. 

View solution in original post