Assigning Individual Assignments to Groups

Jump to solution
lucas_courtney
Community Member

Can students submit individual assignments although it assigned to the group? 

When I create an assignment, it forced me to click "This is a Group Assignment" for me to select my Group Set. From there, I am able to assign to the specific group. Will the members within that group be able to submit their individual document? Or will there be 1 submission for that group?

If I don't select, "This is a Group Assignment" It only allows me to assign to the course or individual students. 

Is there a way around this?

0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello @lucas_courtney 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with creating group assignments but still allowing individual students to submit their own work. Yes, this is a possibility but there is a particular way in which it will work. First, when you create the group assignment, enable the option to assign students grades individually:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-assign-an-assignment-to-a-course-group/...

This way a single student will submit the assignment, but the grade won't apply to all within the group. However, this does still normally count as the submission for the entire group. The other students in the group would see this submission on the right if they go to the assignment, but as long as you do not limit the number of submissions attempts, the other students will see "new attempt" in the top right corner of the assignment page. Each student can submit their own file here to the assignment. Then, when you are in the Speedgrader you will see all of the different submissions on the right hand side. This way, each student can submit their own files, you can see all of them, and you can assign individual grades to each student. Hopefully this helps!

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community

View solution in original post