Adding 'Groups' icon to global navigation as an instructor.

Jump to solution
NoahBoswell
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello!

I am using Canvas Free-For-Teacher. I was wondering, is there any possible way that I can add the Groups icon to the global navigation bar for me and other instructors?

Of course, I can access all the student groups I have my students organized into by going into the People tab via course navigation, then view groups that way. However when I want to view specific resources that each group adds to their pages, announcements, etc., I find that it wastes a lot of time going through people, finding the right user group, then opening stuff that way. I want to have my groups that I create for my students on my global navigation bar slide out menu via the Groups icon, instead. It would save me a heck load of time, and would also allow me to get work done faster.

Just wondering if there was a way, I know other teachers' that have the groups icon, but maybe they're enrolled as a student into like a district course that was made by their admin? Not sure.

Just wondering, thanks in advance for the assistance!

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @NoahBoswell ...

I am not sure if you are aware of this handy option within Groups, but you can toggle between all groups within a group set pretty easily without having to go through the "People" page all the time.  For example, if I have these three groups created in a group set:

Screenshot 2023-08-28 192454.png

I then click on the three dot kebab icon on the far right of any of the three groups, and then I select "Visit Group Homepage".

Once within the group, there is a drop-down list at the top left corner of the screen under the heading "Select Group".  I can use that drop-down list to select any of the three groups within that group set.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 193645.png

If I wanted to view other group sets, I would have to click on the course name at the top left corner (just to the right of the three-lined hamburger icon) to return to your course.

I hope this will help a bit.  Sing out if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes