[Course Navigation] Pick Up Where You Left Off

Problem statement:

My students are struggling to get back into the course exactly where they left off the last time they engaged. For example, when a student is working through the first module and that module contains 5 things, if the student completes the 1st and 2nd thing today, they are having a hard time getting back to the 3rd thing they need to review or complete the next time they log in. It would save us all a lot of time and conflict if after clicking into my course, students are taken directly to where they left off.

Proposed solution:

A solution is-- After clicking into my course, students are taken directly to where they left off the last time they engaged in the course. With this solution-- If a student completes the 1st page and then an aligned assignment within a module today, the next time they log in and click into my course (next week, for example), the system will automatically take the student to the next thing (page, assignment, quiz, etc.) to be completed in this module.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,designer

5 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi!

Thank you for taking the time to share your idea with the Instructure Community. Have students explored the History option? Would that help students jump back in?

How do I view my recent page view history in Canvas as a student? 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! I hope you are doing well. If you are unable to provide an update regarding this idea by December 4, we will need to archive it to help the Community Team focus on current Ideas. If you need more time, that's okay too! Providing an update before that time would be helpful and appreciated. 

LoriElliott
Community Member
Author

Hi, I didn't know about the ability to view your most recent history. Thank you for sharing that document!  

It will definitely work as a band-aid if there is no way to have students be directly placed into the next page/activity based on where they left off during a previous session.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

AllisonHowell
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme