[Calendar] Copy or Duplicate a Event

A good instructional design practice is to have a predictable module structure for students to follow throughout a course. Many courses use the calendar to clearly communicate deadlines to students, and must do so with consistent format.

Currently copying requires creating a calendar event, and copying content for each item. By adding a “copy” button, the effort to build a course will be greatly reduced. If this triggered a dialogue to state how many copies to make, it would be very simple to quickly build out a calendar structure.

Please help to flesh out this idea by discussing your particular use case in the comments.

Added to Theme

27 Comments
lglen
Community Explorer

We've had a couple of snow days. To keep the calendar up to date, I drag the events for or due on a particular day into the next day and add a "Classes Cancelled" event on the snow day. I like (and I think students like) to be able to look back and see what we did and when, as well as looking forward, and on days that we didn't do what we expected to, to see why. I can create an event and choose to duplicate it on the spot, but once an event is created I can't edit it to duplicate it. I can't predict snow days, so currently I have to create a new event from scratch each time this happens. Granted it doesn't happen all that often, but this year it's happened often enough that recreating an event (for multiple classes, because I can't copy from one class to another, either 😠     ) that it's become a real pain...

gspooner
Community Member

I sure could use this! I teach several different courses, but oftentimes want to put an event that is applicable to all of them on the calendar (ie: a speaker on campus, a day I will be out, etc.). Would be a real time saver!

herridge
Community Novice

I would like to see an option to create an event or assignment on the calendar and then be able to easily click and add it to multiple courses.  As far as I know this can only be done through blueprinting and it is very cumbersome.

charlotte_denis
Community Novice

Being able to duplicate an event after it's been created is a NECESSARY function.  Currently my only option for duplication is when I'm creating the event.  For this to be effective, a teacher (I teach high school) needs to know exactly when thing are going to happen, in advance, and this is almost never the case.

BertaMR
Community Novice

As a teacher, I think it would be a great idea the option of copying events in the calendar. That is, if I organised the calendar of one week and next week is exactly the same, I would like to have the option of copying it instead of entering data again one by one.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme