Content Migrations API Stalls on Queued

padgett4
Community Explorer

Hi there!

I wrote a Python script that uses the Content Migrations API to create a POST request for a content migration in one course (starting with one job).

As a starting point, I used basic parameters (like migration_type and settings). The script runs without errors, returning a ‘workflow_state’ of ‘running’ and a progress URL. The content migration job appears correctly on the Import Content page within the Canvas course.

However, I noticed the job stalls in the “Queued” status (grey tag) for about 2 hours before the actual content migration occurs. After those initial couple of hours, the grey Queued status passes, and the content migration job quickly completes without any issues.

But during the time it’s stuck in Queued status, I can’t tell what’s going on – the User Interface just shows Queued (with no time indicators), the Progress API indicates the job has started running, and the Migration Issues API returns no issues (since Queued status isn’t actually an issue).

I would be super grateful if you could share any thoughts about:

• Reasons for / options for handling Queued status content migration jobs (generally)
  • What might be causing the Queued lag when carrying out calls via Canvas API?
  • If a migration job is stuck in Queued status, are there any API calls that could help me better understand what’s going on with those Queued status jobs (and cancel them if they’re taking too long)?

Thanks so much for any suggestions and advice you can share!

Labels (2)
0 Likes