API Request - Allow RESTful API to PUT Submission "Missing" Property

Jump to solution
jhenry0302
Community Explorer

I suppose this is more of a feature request than a question because I already know that the Submissions endpoint on the Canvas API does not currently take put requests on the submission's Missing property.

Why would I want to do this through the API anyway?

The trouble—and I've seen this discussed elsewhere many times—is that Canvas does not mark missing submissions as "Missing" automatically if the assignment uses an external tool

For example, if I have an individual assignment on Canvas that uses an LTI integration with a tool like Norton's InQuizitive, I can set a due date for the Canvas assignment, but when that date passes and students have not submitted/done the activity, their submission does not get marked missing unless a grader like me goes through the gradebook and manually marks them as missing. That is super-tedious and leads to hundreds of unnecessary clicks and wasted time, eye-strain, and wrist-strain throughout a grading period.

So my thinking was that until this issue gets solved—which may be never—why not at least be able to do it through the API? I've already written scripts to put the late_assignment_policy property to "none" for submissions that are less than 2 days late (I allow my students to submit work late "penalty free" if they submit it within 48 hours of the official due time). That script has saved me loads of time. Being about to likewise put the Missing property to $true through the API would likewise save a ton of time, wrist, and eye strain.

There we go. That's my feature request for the year.

Thanks for reading 🙂

-Jeremiah

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
jhenry0302
Community Explorer
Author

@jerry_nguyen thank you for prompting me to have another look. I've poured over the documentation but somehow had it set in my mind that it was the missing property I needed to change. But that's not right. It's the late_policy_status property that needs to be changed. late_policy_status can hold values like "late", "missing", "excused", "none" etc. So the API can do what I'm looking for in its present state.

View solution in original post

0 Likes